1) COGNIZANCE and HEWN: Kenny Basumatary’s Local Kung Fu is an Indian film that takes cognizance of his own surroundings and situations, and makes a story out of it: it’s got romance, martial arts moves and rough-hewn quirkiness.
1. Knowledge; acknowledgment
2. Take cognizance of to take notice of; acknowledge, esp officially
3. The range or scope of knowledge or perception
4. In Law
a. The right of a court to hear and determine a cause or matter
b. knowledge of certain facts upon which the court must act without requiring proof
c. Chiefly US confession
5. (History / Heraldry) Heraldry a distinguishing badge or bearing.
1. To make or shape with or as if with an ax: hew a path through the underbrush.
2. To cut down with an ax; fell: hew an oak.
3. To strike or cut; cleave.
1. To cut something by repeated blows, as of an ax.
2. To adhere or conform strictly; hold
2) DEPRAVITY and TITILLATES: Japanese “Pink films” which again show questionable, deeply uncomfortable content, where the depravity of what is on screen shocks rather than titillates.
1. Moral corruption or degradation.
2. A depraved act or condition.
the state or an instance of moral corruption
moral perversion; impairment of virtue and moral principles; “the luxury and corruption among the upper classes”; “moral degeneracy followed intellectual degeneration”; “its brothels, its opium parlors, its depravity”; “Rome had fallen into moral putrefaction”
3) BOLSTER and PREJUDICES: WHEN opinions expressed by high constitutional functionaries on a human tragedy tend to bolster deep-rooted prejudices, they cannot be left unquestioned.
A long narrow pillow or cushion.
1. To support or prop up with or as if with a long narrow pillow or cushion.
2. To buoy up or hearten
1. (often foll by up) to support or reinforce; strengthen to bolster morale
2. to prop up with a pillow or cushion
3. to add padding to to bolster a dress
1. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Furniture) a long narrow pillow or cushion
2. any pad or padded support
3. (Miscellaneous Technologies / Building) Architect a short horizontal length of timber fixed to the top of a post to increase the bearing area and reduce the span of the supported beam
4. (Engineering / Tools) a cold chisel having a broad blade splayed towards the cutting edge, used for cutting stone slabs.
a. An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
1. To cause (someone) to judge prematurely and irrationally.
2. To affect injuriously or detrimentally by a judgment or an act.
4) LANGUIDLY: But what is most striking to the contemporary viewer is how much the combatants resemble each other, beginning with their languidly patrician tones.
1. Lacking energy or vitality; weak: a languid wave of the hand.
2. Showing little or no spirit or animation; listless: a languid mood.
3. Lacking vigor or force; slow